Share

1 dead in Soberanes Fire in Monterey County

Some 3,000 firefighters battling the so-called Sand Fire in the Angeles National Forest extended containment lines around 40 percent of the 38,350-acre (15,520 hectare) blaze by Wednesday morning, according to fire information officer Sam Wu.

Advertisement

“Cal Fire only has a finite number of bulldozers, so we hire contract employees”, says Fish.

The cause of the fire remains under investigation.

A private bulldozer operator who had been hired in efforts to contain the fire succumbed to fatal injuries Tuesday night, according to California fire authorities.

Firefighters working around the clock got a break early Wednesday from cooler temperatures and increased humidity but by mid-afternoon fire activity increased due to hot temperatures and lower humidity.

John Thornburg told the Monterey Herald (http://bit.ly/2ab2Gpy) Wednesday the marijuana burned in the fire and no arrests were made. The massive fire was 10 percent contained Wednesday.

The unidentified men were unharmed, although they spent much of their time in the forest without food and water.

Burton said the hikers were airlifted by helicopter to a safe area.

Luckily, Collins was able to contact the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, who worked with the County of Los Angeles Department of Animal Care (DACC) to put together a rescue mission for Tank.

Aurora Harris Heller, 62, left, comforts the owner, who refused to give her name, of a house destroyed by the Sand Fire in Santa Clarita, California, on July 26.

When the fire broke out, the men became stranded and didn’t know which direction would lead them to safety, the station reported.

The fire in rugged wilderness between the northern edge of Los Angeles and the suburban city of Santa Clarita grew slightly to almost 60 square miles (154 square kilometers).

California’s signature parks along the Big Sur coastline that draw thousands of daily visitors were closed Tuesday as a result of the blaze. More than 3,000 firefighters and rescue crews have responded to the blaze, which authorities hope to have contained by August 31.

Another 10 outbuildings also have been razed by the blaze that has charred 37 square miles (93 sq. kilometers).

Advertisement

So far, 34 homes have been destroyed in the fire and about 300 residents have fled the areas as part of mandatory evacuations that have been issued in several communities south of Monterey and the upscale Carmel-By-The-Sea.

California Wildfires Kill Two People, Force Thousands to Evacuate