Share

In latest blow, Asean won’t issue statement on tribunal ruling

“Japan strongly expects that the parties’ compliance with this award will eventually lead to the peaceful settlement of disputes in the South China Sea”, Kishida emphasised.

Advertisement

Chinese citizens are reportedly smashing their iPhones and posting photos of the destruction online, along with calls to boycott American goods, to express their anger over an worldwide court’s decision against Beijing in the South China Sea territorial dispute.

Southeast Asia will not issue a statement on the rejection of Chinese territorial claims in the South China Sea by an global tribunal, regional diplomats said Thursday, blaming the no-comment on pressure by Beijing.

He said it will in no way affect China’s territorial sovereignty and maritime rights and interests in the SCS.

The Philippines enjoys an investment grade score from Fitch Ratings, with a stable outlook.

Liu also said that China has “such a right” to set up an air control zone and that the regime would continue to work for “progress” in the region.

It could also spur Taiwan, Vietnam, Malaysia and Brunei, which also have overlapping claims in the South China Sea, to file similar claims.

That statement had expressed alarm over Beijing’s activities in the South China Sea.

China has refused to recognise Tuesday’s ruling and did not take part in its proceedings.

Following an worldwide arbitration tribunal’s ruling against China on the South China Sea issue, India on Thursday said that it is not in favour of or against any country as it is a matter of law.

Even just raising the issue at the two-day summit starting on Friday will anger China, which has long bridled at Philippine efforts to have the dispute discussed at multilateral events.

China claims almost all of the strategic sea – home to some of the world’s most important shipping routes – and has steadily strengthened its toehold by converting reefs and sandbars into islands.

China’s action marked the latest show of defiance against an worldwide tribunal ruling earlier in the week that Beijing’s territorial claims were baseless. The tribunal scolded the impeding of fishing and exploration in the sea by China, which it deemed against the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS), signed by China in 1982.

Philippines’ President Rodrigo Duterte ended his unusual silence at a private function late on Thursday and said he wanted dialogue with China and was considering sending former President Fidel Ramos to Beijing to get the ball rolling.

However, the statement added “Singapore is not a claimant state and we do not take sides on the competing territorial claims”.

Advertisement

Beijing claims 90 percent of the South China Sea, a maritime region believed to hold a wealth of untapped oil and gas reserves and through which roughly $4.5tn of ship-borne trade passes every year.

Duterte eyes bilateral talks, taps FVR for maritime negotiation