Share

Darren Sharper gets 18 years in prison for drugging, raping women

Judge Jane Triche Milazzo sentenced Sharper on Thursday, Aug. 18, 2016, in New Orleans.

Advertisement

During his August 17 court appearance, Darren said he apologized to the victims “1,000 times”, according to the New Orleans Advocate.

He pleaded guilty in federal court to drugging three women so he could rape them.

The federal judge who more than doubled former National Football League star Darren Sharper’s prison sentence told him that courts can not ignore the damage he inflicted on women and on society at large. According to the Associated Press, the 40-year-old has been sentenced to 18 years in prison.

“You gave me. and the entire judicial system in Louisiana the big middle finger because you thought we weren’t capable of stopping you”, she said.

He is accused of drugging and raping as many as 16 women in several cities, including Las Vegas.

Sharper went to jail in Los Angeles in 2014, but the case was in Arizona. The sentence was 15 months short of the maximum.

Wearing an orange prisoner’s jumpsuit, he said sobbing, “They didn’t deserve anything being a part of my heinous decisions”.

But he was rebuffed by one of his victims, the only one to speak at his sentencing. We are looking forward to his sentencing days in those courts, so that Mr. “Sharper’s criminal conduct has had on their lives”.

There was also a former entertainment promoter who has pled guilty to sexually battering the two women Sharper admitted to raping and also having a part in the drugging scheme that saw women be plied with Ambien, Xanax, Valium, and ecstasy before the men took to raping their victims.

Federal prosecutors had accepted a multistate plea agreement calling for a 9-year sentence. Milazzo said the nine-year sentence was too lenient.

The unidentified woman also said Sharper was so cocky and “twisted” that he continued drugging and raping women even after he knew the attack on her was being investigated.

Sharper’s attorneys, including his New Orleans counsel Billy Gibbens, could not be reached for comment. The victim was one of two women Sharper drugged and raped at his condo after a night of partying in September 2013.

Licciardi and a second co-defendant in New Orleans, Erik Nunez, will be sentenced on October 13. He won a Super Bowl with the Saints in February 2010 and retired after the following season.

Sharper was a five-time Pro Bowl safety and was previously sentenced to nine years in Arizona for similar crimes. He was originally charged in California with seven felony counts, including rape by drugs.

Advertisement

In New Orleans, he has admitted to drugging and raping two women at a condominium where he lived in the Warehouse District, after partying the night of September 23, 2013.

Former Saints player Darren Sharper gets more jail time in new plea deal