-
Tips for becoming a good boxer - November 6, 2020
-
7 expert tips for making your hens night a memorable one - November 6, 2020
-
5 reasons to host your Christmas party on a cruise boat - November 6, 2020
-
What to do when you’re charged with a crime - November 6, 2020
-
Should you get one or multiple dogs? Here’s all you need to know - November 3, 2020
-
A Guide: How to Build Your Very Own Magic Mirror - February 14, 2019
-
Our Top Inspirational Baseball Stars - November 24, 2018
-
Five Tech Tools That Will Help You Turn Your Blog into a Business - November 24, 2018
-
How to Indulge on Vacation without Expanding Your Waist - November 9, 2018
-
5 Strategies for Businesses to Appeal to Today’s Increasingly Mobile-Crazed Customers - November 9, 2018
Belgium machete attacker was Algerian with criminal record
Officers check the identification of a man near the police headquarters in Charleroi in Belgium following the machete attack.
Advertisement
Soon after the attack, Belgian Prime Minister Charles Michel wrote on his twitter account: “I strongly condemn the attack in Charleroi”.
A man who attacked and wounded two policewomen with a machete in Belgium was an Algerian national known to police for criminal offences but not terrorism, prosecutors said on Sunday.
According to RTL, the attacker was an illegal immigrant and had been given two orders to leave Belgium. The government didn’t immediately confirm the reports.
PHOTO: Police secure the area around a police building following a machete attack in Charleroi, Belgium, Aug. 6, 2016.
Meanwhile, in the city of Liege, 95 kilometres east of Brussels, a man was spotted wielding a machete early Sunday, the Belga news agency reported.
The attacker, who shouted “Allahu Akbar” (God is greatest)
Belgium has been on high alert since the suicide bombings in March, claimed by Isis extremists, that killed 32 people in Brussels.
Belgian prosecutors said yesterday that the man, whose initials were given as K.B.
It was also confirmed that two police searches were carried out in Charleroi on Saturday night but the information will remain undisclosed for security reasons.
He spoke to reporters following an emergency meeting with top Belgian law enforcement officials on Sunday morning. Numerous perpetrators of the November 13 carnage in Paris that killed 130 people were also residents of Belgium.
Belgian police have carried out dozens of anti-terror raids since the attacks in Paris.
Advertisement
Prime Minister Charles Michel, who broke off his holiday after the attack, has urged people to remain “constantly vigilant” but “keep a cool head”.