Share

French embassy in Wellington remembers those killed in Nice terror attack

Qualified as “fatalistic” by its critics, the Socialist Prime Minister Manuel Valls warned that France could expect “other attacks” and “other innocent people killed” in a speech Tuesday evening before MPs.

Advertisement

Image copyright AP Image caption Mohamed Lahouaiej-Bouhlel was shot dead after ramming his lorry into crowds Radicalised too quickly? Its 12,000 reservists are made up of 9000 military police and a further 3000 regular police officers. Garbage collectors threw the refuse into the back of a garbage truck.

Alfano’s spokeswoman didn’t immediately return a call for comment, and anti-terrorism police in Bari didn’t immediately respond to a request for confirmation.

Molins said the attack was “of a premeditated nature”. Molins said Monday that the slain attacker had shown support for the Islamic State group and searched online for information about the attack on a gay nightclub in Orlando, Florida.

ISIS’ media group, Amaq Agency, said Saturday that an ISIS “soldier” was responsible for the attack.

The Paris prosecutor says 13 bodies are still unidentified following the truck attack on Bastille Day that killed 84 people.

The prosecutor spoke hours after thousands of people massed on the waterfront promenade where the attack took place for a moment of silence.

People who went to the same gym as Lahouaiej-Bouhlel – where he took salsa dancing classes and lifted weights – described him as a vain man who “flirted with anything that moved”.

Speaking after Monday morning’s meeting in central Paris, the country’s interior and defense ministers said the country had never before faced a threat of this kind, referring to the terror attacks in Paris past year as well as the attack in Nice on Bastille Day.

A police official would not confirm the reports, but it is believed one of the eight people detained during the investigation had received messages from the 31-year-old.

At the home of one of the suspects, an Albanian national, investigators found 11 telephones, cocaine and 2,600 euros ($2,900) in cash, according to a security official and the Paris prosecutor’s office.

Cazeneuve said Thursday that only local police, who are more lightly armed, were guarding the entrance to the Promenade des Anglais when Bouhlel drove a 19-metric ton (20-ton) truck onto the sidewalk in Nice before mowing down pedestrians who had gathered to watch a holiday fireworks show.

As early as 2010, a terrorism instruction manual produced by al Qaeda outlined an attack plan using a truck or large vehicle at a public gathering that was in many ways similar to the horror in Nice.

Hartley said to her knowledge there were no Americans among the missing anymore. She declined to discuss the injuries saying that the family wants to protect Stratton’s privacy.

About 85 people are still hospitalized in the wake of Thursday’s attack, with 29 patients in intensive care, said Marisol Touraine, French minister of social affairs and health. “And bless him, he has been at the hospital with her most days”, Cook said. Afterwards the national anthem, La Marseillaise, and the unofficial anthem of the city of Nice, Nissa la Bella, were sung by the crowd. On Monday, florists laid flowers along the two-kilometer length of the promenade ahead of the minute’s silence at mid day. Numerous dead and 308 injured were children.

Crowds jeered the French prime minister as he joined other officials in Nice to remember victims killed during the lorry rampage on the city’s promenade. Buildings stood silent across the country. Four others arrested previously were still being held, but Bouhlel’s estranged wife was released without charge after being held since Friday.

But the Nice Matin newspaper reported that investigators who raided Bouhlel’s apartment found no radicalization materials and that authorities were still searching for his laptop and cellphone. Friends and family said he had not been an observant Muslim in the past.

The attacker’s father, who lives in Msaken, eastern Tunisia, said his son had suffered from depression and had “no links” to religion.

Cazeneuve then launched an internal police investigation Thursday into the handling of the Nice attack.

The minute of silence was observed across France at midday on Monday, a now grimly familiar ritual after the third major terror attack in 18 months on French soil. “So we must still be prudent with what we say on that subject”.

Advertisement

Of the 84 who died, 10 were children.

Nice France attack