-
Tips for becoming a good boxer - November 6, 2020
-
7 expert tips for making your hens night a memorable one - November 6, 2020
-
5 reasons to host your Christmas party on a cruise boat - November 6, 2020
-
What to do when you’re charged with a crime - November 6, 2020
-
Should you get one or multiple dogs? Here’s all you need to know - November 3, 2020
-
A Guide: How to Build Your Very Own Magic Mirror - February 14, 2019
-
Our Top Inspirational Baseball Stars - November 24, 2018
-
Five Tech Tools That Will Help You Turn Your Blog into a Business - November 24, 2018
-
How to Indulge on Vacation without Expanding Your Waist - November 9, 2018
-
5 Strategies for Businesses to Appeal to Today’s Increasingly Mobile-Crazed Customers - November 9, 2018
International Tennis Federation reassures players after Rio Olympic pull-outs
PRAGUE, Czech Republic – Another top-10 tennis player, Tomas Berdych, withdrew from the Rio de Janeiro Olympics over concerns about the Zika virus on Saturday.
Advertisement
Fifth-ranked Simona Halep on the women’s side and No. 7 Milos Raonic for the men announced their decisions after their names were listed on the ITF’s roster.
Halep, a quarter-finalist at Wimbledon last week, was French Open runner-up in 2010.
Brazilian authorities say the attack in Nice will make them review Olympic Games security preparations and probably increase the number of check-points in Rio de Janeiro next month.
Berdych became third top tennis player to pull out of Olympics in two days. The reason for my decision is the concern regarding the danger posed by the Zika virus.
It is a further blow for organisers of the competition, with the United States’ John Isner and Nick Kyrgios of Australia also not involved due to separate reasons, but Berdych claims that he had to put the well-being of his family first when making the choice. Five-time Grand Slam champion Maria Sharapova will miss the Rio Games because of her doping suspension.
Earlier, world number three Jordan Spieth joined the chorus of golfers pulling out of this year’s Olympics, which includes Rory McIlroy, Jason Day, Dustin Johnson, Adam Scott, Louis Oosthuizen, Charl Schwartzel, Marc Leishman and Vijay Singh.
Tennis Canada said it respected Raonic’s decision and that it will seek to nominate 43-year-old Daniel Nestor to partner Vasek Pospisil in the men’s doubles.
“Nadal’s commitment is total and he will go to Rio to participate”, said Alejandro Blanco, the president of Spain’s Olympic committee.
Advertisement
The 14-time Grand Slam victor has not played since pulling out of the French Open in May. Federer won silver in 2012 and Djokovic bronze in 2008.