Share

Islamic State releases video of German bomber

Merkel’s govt said it was wrong to blame the liberal refugee policy for recent assaults ■ But Stephan Mayer, a deputy from Merkel’s conservative bloc, said 1.1million migrants and refugees Germany let in past year represented a “big challenge” for the police GERMANY RATTLEDOVER 660: People killed in attacks in Europe and Americas since Jan 2015.

Advertisement

Investigators say he was obsessed with mass killings, including Norwegian rightwing fanatic Anders Behring Breivik’s 2011 massacre, and have ruled out an extremist motive.

“Neither the identities of all people that have come to us, nor their mental and physical condition are clarified”, he criticized.

Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere said most asylum seekers had come to Germany to escape persecution, and it was important to remember that only a tiny minority had links to terrorism.

In between those two attacks, the 18-year-old son of Iranian asylum seekers went on a rampage on Friday night at a Munich shopping centre, killing nine and wounding dozens.

Police said they found chilling footage on Daleel’s phone pledging allegiance to the Islamic State.

He ordered tightened security at airports and railway stations following the suicide bombing near a music festival in Ansbach that wounded 15 people and an axe attack that injured four passengers on a train in the city of Wuerzburg and a passer-by.

More than 2,000 people were evacuated from the festival after the explosion, police said.

Fertinger, the Nuremberg police chief, said he had made superficial suicide attempts by cutting his arms, resulting in him receiving psychiatric care. “They always say a friendly hello when they pass by on their way to their language classes”, the man said.

German authorities could not immediately be reached to confirm whether the video was the same as the one found on the cell phone of a 27-year-old Syrian who blew himself Sunday night in the Bavarian town of Ansbach.

The so-called Dublin principle observed by many countries determines that asylum seekers who have passed through a safe third country where they could have claimed asylum can be sent back there in order to make their claim. Please see our terms of service for more information.

Ansbach has a population of about 40,000 and is a major US military garrison town, with around 5,000 members of the military living there along with civilians, contractors and retirees.

“Yes, this was also for me personally a very awful week, as I think it was for most of the people in Bavaria”.

A rash of attacks in Germany has emboldened political rivals of Chancellor Angela Merkel, blaming her liberal asylum policy for exposing the country to a shocking week of bloodshed.

They said in a statement that security staff noticed the man with the backpack near the entrance of the concert site around 9:45 p.m. It also showed the 27-year-old threatening a “revenge attack” on Germans.

Investigators say the two teenagers met a year ago as in-patients at a psychiatric ward. Both were being treated for online game addiction, among other things, they said.

Anxiety over Germany’s ability to cope with last year’s flood of more than 1 million registered asylum seekers first surged following a series of sexual assaults and robberies in Cologne during New Year celebrations.

“The Syrian in Ansbach was facing deportation and this was to Bulgaria”, he said.

Advertisement

The attack was initially reported to have been caused by a gas leak, although evidence soon emerged proving that Germany had again fallen victim to another terror attack. “But to some extent, that won’t matter in the public debate, which will be focused on the outcomes”, he said.

Germany: Syrian asylum seekers blows himself up, wounding 12