Share

Kashmiris angry at newspaper ban

The opposition, while attacking Pakistan for fanning trouble in Kashmir, asked the government to initiate a political process and direct security forces to exercise restraint while dealing with protests.

Advertisement

The largest street protests in recent years in the disputed region erupted more than a week ago after Indian troops killed a popular young rebel leader.

State government spokesman and Education Minister Nayeem Akhtar said the information blackout was aimed at “saving lives and strengthening peace efforts”.

Jammu and Kashmir Police on Friday closed down the offices of at least two printing presses after seizing plates of newspaper and printed copies in Rangreth Industrial Estate in the outskirts of the city here.

Saying that death of innocent Kashmiris is an abundant proof of Indian aggression in the valley, he appealed to the government to send an all-party delegation to talk to Kashmiri people.

So far, 42 people have been killed and over 3,100 injured as protestors were fired upon by government forces. Tight curfew remained in place in other districts that include Kupwara, Ganderbal and Budgam and South Kashmir’s towns including Islamabad, Bijbehara, Mattan, Kaimoh, Pulwama, Kakpora, Pampore, Awantipora and Shopian.

The state of affairs had even the division bench of the state high court directing the state government to ensure supply of essential commodities, including ration items, baby food, lifesaving drugs and other medicines, including surgical material.

Another English daily, Rising Kashmir, had finished printing its edition and was about to be circulated when some policemen raided its distribution site, it said on its web edition.

The Indian Express reported that the Kashmiri Pandits who have left Kashmir during this latest bout of violence are among those who given were given jobs and houses as part of a rehabilitation package to return to the Valley in 2010.

Authorities have imposed a blanket ban on newspapers, asking their editors and owners not to publish till July 19.

The APHC AJK chapter leader, Altaf Bhat said that they were happy to see hundreds of civil society and human rights activists from Pakistan joining them to show solidarity with the people of Indian Kashmir. Indian forces deployed in Kashmir now routinely use pellet guns to stymie roadside demonstrations.

Authorities on Sunday extended the summer break for schools and colleges by a week, until July 24. “I can assure you that in this age of globalisation and where we have Internet and electronic means of communication, there is no way of imposing a ban now”, he said.

Advertisement

The death toll climbed to 42 after a woman who had sustained grievous injuries at Qazigund on Monday succumbed in hospital early morning yesterday.

Newspaper-seized-in-Kashmir