Share

Nigeria arrests 9 alleged Boko Haram extremists in Abuja

The Associated Press reported Paul Manga, Chad’s police spokesperson, said the sucide bombers all appeared to be female.

Advertisement

Originally, the death toll was thought to be as high as 30. Also at least 130 others had been injured in the attack blamed by security sources on militant Islamist group Boko Haram.

The Nigerian Army has commenced strikes deep inside Sambisa forest, which is believed to be the only remaining strong point of the Boko Haram terrorists.

Senate President, Bukola Saraki has called for the French government’s greater involvement in the war against terrorism, particularly the Boko Haram insurgency in Nigeria’s North East and neighbouring former French colonies in West Africa.

Suicide bombers have killed at least 27 and injuring 90 on the Island of Koulfoua in Chad yesterday.

In recent months, Boko Haram has escalated attacks and suicide bombings on Chadian villages on islands in the lake. Later Wednesday, two more suicide bombers killed at least 15 people in the northern city of Kano and injured 53, according to police.

According Nigeria’s Department of State Security, one of the militants arrested was monitoring one of those hotels.

“The soldiers also recovered 2,000 cows rustled from various persons over time and rescued women and children held captives by the Boko Haram”.

Advertisement

“Boko Haram… has continued to establish and operate sleeper cells whose mandates are to conduct surveillance and carry out subsequent attacks”, the DSS statement said. The group is lead by Abubakar Shekau and was identified as a foreign terrorist organization by the US government on November 14, 2013.

Boko Haram has displaced millions of people in Nigeria and elsewhere since launching its militant insurgency in 2009.         
                     Afolabi Sotunde  Reuters