Share

Syrian government says ready for further peace talks, says state media

In April, an air strike on a hospital in rebel-held Aleppo killed dozens of people.

Advertisement

In a statement, the ministry said it renews its keenness to achieve a political solution that meets the aspiration of the Syrian people and enjoys the support of the United Nations and the worldwide community, Xinhua news agency reported.

The United Nations Special Envoy for Syria, Staffan de Mistura, is expected to meet high-level USA and Russian officials to push for a resumption of Syria peace talks, the UN said on Friday.

Coming months will be “decisive with respect of organizing the new conference in Geneva”, said de Mistura, as he emerged from talks with German Foreign Minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier.

De Mistura expressed hope that U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry’s visit to Moscow last week would yield positive results for the resumption of the stalled peace talks.

Russian Federation and the United States have recently concluded bilateral talks on Syria, and de Mistura said it is important first to see how steps agreed upon there play out.

Advertisement

De Mistura arrived in Berlin earlier today as part of his mission to create the ground for a viable settlement to the protracted crisis in Syria.

Syrians look for victims under the rubble of a collapsed building following a reported air strike on the rebel-held neighborhood of Sakhur in the northern city of Aleppo