Share

Terminally ill ‘Star Wars’ fan gets wish of seeing ‘The Force Awakens’

“Star Wars: The Force Awakens” is scheduled to hit theaters on December 18, but Fleetwood, dying from spindle cell sarcoma, is unlikely to live long enough to make the premiere, 11 Alive reported.

Advertisement

“Daniel’s final dream was just granted!!!” According to a Facebook post from his partner Ashley Fleetwood, Daniel received a call from Abrams notifying him that he would receive the screening, which Disney and Lucasfilm then facilitated.

Mark Hamill, one of the franchise’s original stars, and two new franchise stars, John Boyega and Daisy Ridley, helped boost the campaign via their social media pages.

The arrival of the poster comes after a recent spat of character posters, featuring Hans Solo (Harrison Ford) amongst other characters, but these are honestly the kind of posters that Star Wars fans really go insane over. Earlier this week, he told People magazine that he had viewed the films over and over since he was first introduced to them as an eight year old, “analyz[ing] every little detail”.

J.J. Abrams just made a Star Wars fan’s final wish come true. So much so, that a 31-year-old cancer patient Daniel Fleetwood had requested to watch the Star Wars’ upcoming sequel, The Force Awakens, before his death.

“May the force be with you all”, she wrote.

Yesterday, his wife Ashley shared a Facebook post yesterday thanking Disney and Abrams for this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. That Kylo Ren scene with Rey, for example, probably means we’ll get them to fight around a lot, or will he be her “Master’?”

Advertisement

Luke Skywalker himself, Mark Hammill, said he is “elated” that Daniel was able to see the latest installment.

#ForceForDaniel: Terminally Ill 'Star Wars' Fan Has Dying Wish Granted, Sees