Share

Tourist hotel in Egyptian resort town of Hurghada is attacked by terrorists

Three gunmen opened fire inside a hotel in the Egyptian resort town of Hurghada Friday, injuring two tourists, Egyptian media reported.

Advertisement

The killing of the two officers comes a day after two knife-wielding attackers stabbed three tourists at a hotel in Egypt’s Red Sea city of Hurghada.

One was killed by police and the other was seriously wounded, the Interior Ministry said.

The same Islamic State affiliate that is based in the Sinai peninsula, and responsible for the recent attacks on neighboring resorts, is the said group to have downed a Russian plane back in October of 2015, which took the lives of 224 individuals.

He told the Press Association: “We have already seen quite a big drop-off in business to Egypt. We saw that after the Arab Spring, not because people were being attacked but because people had a general worry about demonstrations etc”.

“Two drugged young men attacked one of our hotel restaurants with fake gun (plastic) and small knives”, the statement said.

Swede Sammie Olovsson, 27, and Austrians Renata and Wilhelm Weisslein, both 72, were slashed by two attackers at a hotel in Hurghada on Friday.

SECURITY sources say shots have been fired at the entrance of a hotel at a beach resort in Egypt frequented by foreign tourists.

The assailants are believed to have arrived by sea to carry out the attack, security sources said.

Last month Egypt hired global consultancy Control Risks to review security at its airports after the crash but said it had found no evidence so far of terrorism or other illegal action linked to it. In November Russia said the jet was brought down by a bomb. The ministry, which is in charge of the police, said they deployed police to the scene to investigate the shooting and search for suspects.

Tourism is a cornerstone of the Egyptian economy but has been badly hit by years of political turmoil.

On Saturday morning the Islamic State propaganda network Amaq News claimed responsibility for a separate assault Thursday against a bus of Israeli tourists near the pyramids at Giza.

ISIS said it was targeting “a tourist bus carrying Jews”.

Advertisement

And in June, police foiled an attempted suicide bomb attack near the famed Karnak temple in Luxor – one of Egypt’s most popular heritage attractions – when 600 tourists were inside.

ISIS claims attack on Israeli tourists in Cairo