Share

Turkish embassy tries to play down global reports of purge of critics

Anadolu, Turkey’s state-run news agency, published what it said were excerpts from the testimony to prosecutors of the closest aide to the Turkish military chief, in which he allegedly confessed to being a follower of Gulen and of knowing of the coup plans.

Advertisement

“This measure is in no way against democracy, the law and freedoms”, said Erdogan after announcing the state of emergency.

Turkey won’t be under military rule, and army units will take orders from provincial governors, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said after declaring the emergency measures.

On Thursday, Turkish state media said a further 32 judges and two military officers have been detained by authorities during the crackdown since last week’s coup.

He praised those who were killed fighting against the coup as “martyrs”.

“Europe does not have the right to criticize this decision”, Erdogan added, apparently anticipating expressions of concern from the European Union, which has become increasingly critical of Turkey’s rights record and has urged restraint as Ankara purges its state institutions since the abortive coup.

Turkey reportedly placed a temporary ban on academics leaving the country for work-related purposes on Wednesday as part of its investigation into an attempted coup last week.

Turkey has now fired or suspended about 50,000 people after a failed coup over the weekend as it intensifies its vast purge – battering the country’s security forces and many of its democratic institutions.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Wednesday he is preoccupied with the state of Turkey’s democracy, and that has been communicated to the government.

“Will Turkish-US relations come under – or be allowed to come under – increasing strain as Erdogan advances his crackdown?”

Meanwhile, since the coup attempt, 100 million Turkish flags have been sold, leading to a shortage of cloth.

But Erdogan, who has raised the possibility of reinstating the death penalty in Turkey to punish coup leaders, suggested in his comments to Reuters that the emergency was also aimed at eradicating supporters of Gulen in Turkey.

Turkey accuses Gulen of running a “terror group” and has stepped up the pressure on Washington to extradite him, sending several “dossiers” it says are packed with evidence about his alleged involvement.

The Turkish government focused in particular on teachers suspected of backing Friday’s failed uprising, taking steps to revoke the licenses of 21,000 teachers at private schools and sacking or detaining half a dozen university presidents. “They are small places but we’ll still look at it. There will be double-checks, triple-checks”, he said.

About 9,300 people have also been detained, including top generals accused of treason for allegedly masterminding the plot as well as soldiers, police and judges.

U.S. President Barack Obama spoke with Erdogan on Tuesday about the coup and the status of Gulen, who lives in Pennsylvania.

Advertisement

Torchia reported from Istanbul.

Turkey's state-run news agency says courts have ordered 85 generals and admirals jailed pending trial over their roles in the coup attempt